What are Venus Rings, why do they occur and how to deal with them?
Horizontal folds on the neck are a peculiar phenomenon that appears in some people from an early age, while others may not have them until they reach their forties. The reason for their formation is not entirely clear, and it is uncertain if it is possible to get rid of them.
What are Venus Rings?
Most beauty experts agree that calling Venus rings wrinkles is not entirely accurate. Wrinkles are folds in the skin that occur either as a result of facial expressions or during the aging process. Venus rings, on the other hand, are horizontal folds that can occur in children and adolescents. This is due to the peculiar structure of the neck muscle - platysma. And it is different for everyone. Therefore, in some people, Venus rings are visible from childhood and worsen as they grow older, while in others, they may be almost imperceptible even in mature years.
Causes of Venus rings appearance:
- Aging. With age, the quality of the skin changes on the face and neck. The skin on the neck is not as tightly attached to the muscle as on the face, and due to constant active head movements, horizontal folds only intensify.
- Posture. The habit of slouching and walking with a lowered head provokes poor blood circulation, forms a second chin, and exacerbates ptosis.
- Gadget addiction. Constant visual contact with a smartphone and tablet can lead to tension on the back of the neck, while the front is constantly relaxed and wrinkled. Even the term "tech neck" has emerged, a phenomenon characteristic of people who constantly look at a computer or smartphone screen.
- Sleeping on the stomach. Such a position is completely unphysiological for the head and neck. Sleeping in this position for several hours forms folds on the lateral surfaces of the neck. The ideal solution for proper blood circulation and minimizing creases formation is sleeping on the back.
- Hormonal imbalances, such as thyroid disease.
Other possible reasons may include problems with the jaw joints, incorrect self-massage technique, sports activities that involve constant lifting of weights, and many other factors.
Since Venus rings are formed due to the specific structure of the muscle, no cosmetic care can completely eliminate wrinkles. However, home care can improve skin quality, and the rings will no longer be so pronounced. Moreover, the neck ages faster than the skin on the face, so it requires special attention.
From the age of 20-25, you can apply creams with antioxidants on your neck, and don't forget about sunscreens. The skin on the neck is prone to photoaging, so it is very important to protect it from the sun. From the age of 30-35, you can use cosmetics based on peptides. And with the appearance of the first signs of wrinkles, switch to products with a lifting effect and hyaluronic acid. You can also use cosmetics with retinol, but be careful: the skin in the neck area is more sensitive than on the face and requires special dosages. And at any age, don't forget to moisturize the skin, good hydration prevents early appearance of wrinkles.
Support your neck with nutrition, consume more products with omega-3. If necessary, consult a doctor to prescribe supplements with antioxidants or collagen. Don't forget to watch your neck posture relative to your body: gadgets should be held at eye level.
Massage and exercises:
Incorporate neck and collarbone stretching and exercises into your daily routine. This is aimed at relaxing the platysma muscle in your neck. Consider activities such as Pilates, yoga, dancing, and ballet - all of which require you to hold your head straight, stretch your neck, and straighten your spine.
Massaging the neck area with tools like a gua sha or a roller can also be beneficial. Be sure to pair it with your nighttime skincare routine. It's important to perform all movements delicately so as not to stretch the delicate skin, and to avoid any contact with the thyroid gland area.